Friday, July 8, 2011

Starring Me

 This is just a story that one may find anti-climatic. But it's a cool story (bro) :D

So I was attempting to read Heart of Darkness after my leisurely stroll, which was also the result of my insanity today. Right, so I'm sitting in my usual thought-provoking sanctuary- the room next to the balcony, and I get a call from a friend who asks "Can you see the moon?". I know this is an interesting question, but I thought I'd run along with it so I went outside in the freezing cold and there I spotted the moon in it's half crescent state and replied 'yes I definitely can!'. So then they continue to say 'can you see the southern cross?' And at this point I realise, in my whole childhood, that I have never actually seen the Southern Cross in it's actual state. Sure I've seen pictures, simulations and whatnot, but never have my eyes cast upon the real deal. So then my friend tries to direct me to exactly where the Southern Cross was-now just letting you know that there were two HUGE gum trees right infront of my house and the sensor light came on so I was half blinded. The following may seem really stupid. So I see a few stars around the moon and I say "I actually can't see the southern cross. All I see are 3 stars which form an isosceles triangle, with the moon directly at the base of the triangle. If you connect the moon to the star furtherest away, you'd form a median with the base side.". O.O So after that I am directed to a cloud of stars approximately 1 handspace away from the moon and there I try to spot the Southern Cross. I know that the four points of it are quite luminous (ooh physics terminology there) however I still cannot see it. After about another 10 minutes of spotting I realise that my back is leaning halfway over the balcony with my neck parallel with the ground and it starts to ache. How I got into that position I do not know. Then (due to my limited space knowledge), I say "OMG IS THE MOON PART OF THE SOUTHERN CROSS???" Because I swear I saw a kite with the moon's crescent at the apex of it. It is only later that I realise what a stupid question that was. The conversation turned into a lot of shape talk- semicircle, kite, short sides, isosceles triangle, arrow..you name it. I even went down from my balcony and out onto the roadside just to try and spot this wonderous constellation but yet I could not find it. I was on the road by the time I shouted 'THERE'S SO MANY STARS OUT HERE!!!!" Theirs and my efforts came to no avail and before I knew it, my phone battery died. And I realised how scared and lonely and isolated I was, out here in the middle of the night. The stillness was chilling me to the bone. So I ran back up and onto that same first balcony again. If you've ever watched Dear John (movie), you'll know how the girl hold's up her thumb and says 'no matter where you are, the moon is never bigger than your thumb'. And I did just that =)

No comments:

Post a Comment