Thursday, February 3, 2011

Case of the bad journalist

Wow, has anyone read the latest Northern District Times? The first page has a story titled 'Are chinese kids smarter?' Thinking WTH is this, I read through the article and it says how this Professor Chua has these rules for her daughters including:
-must be number one in every subject except gym and drama
-not allowed to watch TV or play computer games
-not allowed to be in a school play
-not allowed to play a musical instrument other than piano and violin
WHAT THE CRAPP-ERY?? THATS FULLI OUTRAGEOUS! Not to mention stupid and misguided. Oh and you know who else I think is misguided? The person that actually put this article in the newspaper because I really don't think asian parents are like that. You've obviously taken one of the most extreme cases and published it in a newspaper because you think we're too damn smart. And you don't know why. And anyway, since the headline was 'Are Chinese Kids Smarter?', you haven't even answered the question. In fact, you've tried to get 'both sides of the story' but really you have created a highly biased article.
Oh and the editor of the newspaper? May I say that the next page was about patriotism towards Australia and how we celebrated Australia Day. Smart move, editor.

On another note, I had this sudden memory flood back to me. In year two at Chinese new year, my dad gave me like a hundred bucks. And I gave it all back. I slipped it into his wallet when he wasn't around because I felt bad for stealing so much money ><

No comments:

Post a Comment